Tuesday 19 January 2010

Recipe of the week: Creamy chicken bake


This is a weightwatchers recipe taken from a book of family meals, WeightWatchers Cook Smart Family Food. I picked this up for £2.50 in Tesco at the end of December.

It has some delicious looking recipe’s in and they are all really balanced and can’t wait to try most of them. Sometimes I struggle to make really balanced healthy meals when cooking for one person, but I think for most of the recipe’s in this book my family will eat them too.
This was a really simple recipe, but it turned out to be really filling and tasty. I wish I had taken some pictures or recorded some while I was cooking but it just slipped my mind.
You need:
low fat cooking spray
300g diced chicken
2 courgettes,
175g fusilli pasta
600g passata with herbs (couldn't find this so I just added a few sprinkles of mixed herbs to the passata)
200g low fat soft cheese with garlic and herbs
100ml water




  • The first thing I did for this recipe was chop the courgettes into slices and cook it in some fri-light cooking spray with the diced chicken. This should be cooked until the chicken browns (about 5 mins).
  • Whilst this is happen the pasta should be cooked for 2 mins, and then drain.
  • Add the passata and water to the chicken and courgette mix, and bring to the boil. Then remove from the heat.
  • The soft cheese should then be mixed in along with the pasta.
  • You can then place the mixture in an oven proof dish. Cover the dish and place it in the oven for about 45mins.

picture taken from the book
Such a simple dish, but so tasty. I do wish the tomato flavour had been a little stronger, and so next time I might add a little tomato puree.
I was a little worried about cooking this after setting fire to my crumpets earlier in the week but I am pleased to say this recipe turned out to be fire free.
So that was my recipe of the week (w/e 17/01/09). There will definitely be more from this Weightwatchers cook book.
Did you try anything new this week?
K x
Note: you can find my recipe of the week posts over at Katie*Could*Cook

No comments: